Thursday, 22 October 2009

Why do you like to fish?

I was once asked by someone with that question and I must say that I have 1001 answers to it. But the best part of fishing is when you catch a real big one.

The thrill of fighting the fish and finding your way out  to land the monster while you are all alone will put you in a situation of quick rational thinking.

No one is around to help you net the fish and your rod is too small to carry it over to the land. When this happens, don't rush to land it. Be cool and enjoy the rare moment. Be stubborn and don't give in to the fish. Hold the rod vertically and don't let go. The fish will continue to fight to free itself but after awhile it will get weaker and the fight is over. Then, that is when you start pulling it ashore.

I have caught quite a number of big siakap from a pond in front of my house in Bagan Lalang. Frankly speaking, I wasn't really into serious fishing until I bought the house in 2004. I have fished before but the size of the fish was minute and no fighting was needed to land them. In Bagan Lalang however, that wasn't the case. For the first few tries, all the fish escaped out of my ignorance in tying proper knots. So I searched the internet to learn about knots, and later about baits, rods, reels, and even fishing boats and kayaks.

UnfortunatelyI became obsessed and started buying all the gears and gadgets from tackle shops as well as from some fishing stores in the internet.  I have spent thousands of ringgit to fulfill my lust in fishing. At one point, shopping was a lot more enjoyable than the fishing itself. I bought expensive rods and branded spinning, bait casting and fly fishing reels namely Shimano, Daiwa, Sage and what not. I even bought a small Pelican boat with a 3HP engine, a Pelican kayak etc etc. What a waste!

I have learned a  lot about fishing and if you ask me now about it, I'm sure you'll get the right answers. But let me give you a piece of advice in fishing. Size doesn't matter, price doesn't matter, quality doesn't matter. I caught all the big fish not with the most famous rods or reels. But what matters most is the process of fishing. So don't waste your money. Save them for your Umrah or your Haj, InsyaAllah. At the meantime, enjoy these pictures of me with the catch from mediocre rods and reels.




6 comments:

  1. tak pernah ade pengalaman. tapi nak sangat mencube. heheh

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure the experience will teach a lot especially on the most crucial essential values..to be patience and gain experience..i think its time for me to brush up my ketidak-sabaran.huhuu..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Assalamualaikum

    Biar betul Pak Ngah.
    Kalau tak silap saya itu tasik kat bagan lalang kan?

    ReplyDelete